Saturday 10 January 2015

2015: word for this year

Last year, on my Different kinds of normal blog, I started the year with a word to keep in mind. That word was intentional. I wrote a post about it here if you'd like to see it. I had felt like I was kind of floating about each day making things up as I went and so I determined to be more intentional about a few things.  Here are the things I aimed to do as a way to keep myself focusses on positivity and productivity rather than just making it through each day. 

I had resolved to 

smile laugh enjoy
walk more
remember to rest when I need to
learn
wear flowers in my hair
think positive thoughts
refuse to dwell on the negative
let what others think of me be their business, not mine
stand up for myself and my kids
be kind to others
be kind to myself 

I can honestly say I did all of these, and reasonably consistently. I guess I should admit the walking more was largely due to our car dying toward the end of the year.... but hey, what ever works, right? 

I've been thinking about a word for this year for a few weeks now, and I nearly gave up on the idea, because I just couldn't settle on one. Until this morning. 


eclectic |ɪˈklɛktɪkadjectivederiving ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources:universities offering an eclectic mix of courses.(Eclectic)Philosophy denoting or belonging to a class of ancient philosopherswho did not belong to or found any recognized school of thought but selected doctrines from various schools of thought.nounperson who derives ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources.




I've been living this way for many years, but this year I am choosing to be mindful of the fact that this is happening, and to consciously value it. For me this means being open to new ideas and strategies, being willing to stand against the mainstream and commonly accepted "norm", and doing what I know to be right for myself and my family rather than thoughtlessly doing what is expected.

As you read my blogs this year you will see evidence of this eclectic approach to life. On Amazing Adventures you will see stories about homeschooling and other strategies to make life easier for our Autistic children. On Different kinds of normal you will see my thoughts and advocacy for acceptance of neurodiversity, alongside stories about how I manage life and the things that fire me up and excite me. 

As you look at the other projects I am involved in this year you will see more evidence of pushing against the expected in favour of an eclectic approach that meets real needs in real life. Autistic Rights Australia, Parenting Autistic Children with Love and Acceptance (or PACLA) and Respectfully Connected: Journeys in Parenting and Neurodivergence (a brand new collaborative project I am very excited about) will feature heavily in my advocacy work this year.....  but more about them later. 

Will you walk with me a while this year? I'd love to share conversations with you about how we do life. I'd love to listen to you and learn, and I hope i have something to offer to you as well. 

Here's to 2015! I hope it will be a year of celebration eclecticism, looking for and enjoying diversity, and valuing all our unique qualities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always happy to hear from my readers. Let me know what you think!!

You should know:
*All comments on this site are moderated. This means I read your comment before it appears on the site, and I have to approve all comments before they can be published. If your comment doesn't appear immediately you do not need to resend it, I just haven't approved it yet.
*I rarely publish comments made anonymously.
*I will sometimes wait to publish a comment until I have time to respond to it.